2020年5月20日 星期三

初級文法--7. 過去進行式和過去簡單式 Past continuous and past simple

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/beginner-to-pre-intermediate/past-continuous-and-past-simple
Google Docs
Do you know how to use the past continuous and past simple? 你知道怎麼使用過去進行式和過去簡單式嗎? 

Look at these examples to see how the past continuous and past simple are used.
When I woke up this morning, it was snowing. 當我早上起床的時候,外面正在下雪。
I was sleeping when you called me. 當你打給我的時候,我正在睡覺。


Grammar explanation
The past continuous and the past simple help us to show how two past actions or situations are connected. 過去進行式和過去簡單式幫助我們知道兩個過去動作和情況如何被連接起來。

Past simple 過去簡單式
The past simple shows us that an action was in the past, not in the present. Regular past simple verbs have -ed at the end (e.g. called, played, arrived). Irregular verbs have a different form, usually with a different vowel sound (e.g. wake → woke, break → broke, feel → felt). 過去簡單式表示動作在過去發生,而不是現在。規則變化過去式動詞後面加ed (例如: called, played, arrived),不規則變化動詞有不同的形式,通常有不同的母音(例如: wake → woke, break → broke, feel → felt)。

My parents called me yesterday. 我父母昨天打給我。
I woke up early this morning. 我今天早上很早起。
Sam played basketball when he was at university. 當Sam在大學時,他在打籃球。

We make the negative with didn't and the infinitive verb. 否定句: didn’t + 原V

My parents didn't call me yesterday. 我父母昨天沒有打電話給我。
I didn't wake up early this morning. 我今天早上沒有早起。

We make the question form with did and then the subject and infinitive verb. 問句: Did + 主詞+原V。 

Did you wake up early this morning? 你今天早上有早起嗎? 
Did Sam play basketball when he was at university? 當Sam在大學時,他有去打籃球嗎?

Past continuous 過去進行式
The past continuous shows us that the action was already in progress at a certain time in the past.  過去進行式顯示動作在特定的過去時間正在進行中。

What were you doing at 8 p.m. last night? I was studying. 你昨天晚上八點鐘在幹嘛,我當時正在念書。

This means that I started studying before 8 p.m. and I continued after 8 p.m. 這表示我在晚上八點前就開始念書,而且我晚上八點後持續念書。

The past continuous can also show that an activity was in progress for some time, not just for a moment. 過去進行式顯示一個動作正在進行中且持續一段時間,而不只是一個片刻。

We were cleaning the house all morning. 我們一整個早上都在打掃房子。

We make the past continuous with was or were and the -ing form of the verb. 過去進行式公式: S+was/were + Ving

She couldn't come to the party. She was working. 她無法來到派對,她正在工作。
Three years ago, we were living in my home town. 三年前,我們住在我的家鄉。
I tried to give him some advice, but he wasn't listening. 我試著要給他一些建議,但是他不聽。
What were you doing this time last year? 你去年這個時間在做什麼? 

Past continuous and past simple 過去進行式 和 過去簡單式
When we use these two tenses together, it shows us that the past simple action happened in the middle of the past continuous action, while it was in progress. 當我們一起使用這兩個時態,這表示過去簡單式的動作是發生在過去進行式的區段之間。

While I was studying, I suddenly felt sleepy. 當我正在讀書的時候,我突然感到想睡覺。

We often use these tenses to show an action interrupting another action. 我們常使用這些時態來顯示一個動作打斷另一個動作。

I broke my leg when I was skiing. 當我在滑雪的時候,我摔斷我的腿。
As I was going to work, I saw an old friend.當我去工作的時候,我看到一個舊朋友。
We were watching television when the power went off. 當停電時,我們正在看電視。

Can you see a difference in the meaning of these two sentences? 你可以看出以下兩個句子有什麼不同嗎? 

When the guests arrived, Jane was cooking dinner. 當客人抵達的時候,Jane正在煮飯。
When the guests arrived, Jane cooked dinner. 當客人抵達的時候,Jane在煮飯。

In the first one, Jane started cooking dinner before the guests arrived. We know that because it uses the past continuous. In the second sentence, the guests arrived first and then Jane started cooking. 在第一個句子中,在客人抵達前,Jane就開始煮晚餐了 (因為使用過去進行式)。在第二個句子中,客人先抵達,然後Jane開始煮晚餐。

沒有留言:

張貼留言