2020年9月16日 星期三

翰林遠東(99課綱)高職C版B5單字+課文

1. 翰林遠東(99課綱)高職C版B5單字 Google Sheet
成績冊 Google Sheet
2. Quizlet

B5 L1 Going to a Job Interview

Greg arrives at Stone and Walker, a finance company. He has a job interview there.

Part One

Greg speaks to the secretary of Ms. Parker, a sales manager.

Greg: Good morning. My name is Greg Fisher. I have a job interview at 10:15.

Secretary: Oh, yes. Mr. Fisher. You’re a little early.

Greg: Yes. That’s because I wanted to make sure I was on time.

Secretary: No problem. Ms. Parker is with someone right now. Please take a seat.

Greg: OK. Thank you.

A few minutes later ...

Secretary: OK, Mr. Fisher. Ms. Parker is ready for you now.

Greg: Thank you.

Part Two

Greg walks into Ms. Parker’s office and sits across from her.

Parker: So, Mr. Fisher. I can see from your resume3 that you have a degree in finance.

Greg: That’s right.

Parker: What made you study finance at college?

Greg:  My father works as a market analyst. He has taught me a lot, which has inspired my interest in finance.

Parker: You graduated this year. Do you have any work experience?

Greg: No, but I’ve been helping one of my professors with a research project.

Parker: I see.

Part Three

Ms. Parker continues to interview Greg.

Parker: So how much do you know about our company?

Greg:  I know it was launched twelve years ago, and you recently moved your head office here from Chicago. You provide financial advice11 to other companies.

Parker: That’s right. We’re always looking for new blood to help expand our business.

Greg:  That’s great. I’ve been looking around for the right position in finance. I’m eager to try a new challenge.

Parker: Good. Is there anything you’d like to know about the position?

Greg: What kind of work would I be doing?

Parker: Well, first you have to learn about our customers and how we help them.

Part Four

Ms. Parker asks Greg a few more questions.

Parker: What are your biggest strengths?

Greg:  I’m a fast learner, and I don’t make the same mistake twice. I also get along well with people.

Parker: That’s good to hear. Things can get quite busy in our office. Can you handle pressure?

Greg:  I think so. I helped my professor make the deadline for his project. That’s why he gave me a good reference.

Parker: OK. Well, Greg. I have more interviews this week. I’ll let you know by Friday whether your application is successful.

Greg: So do I have a chance?

Parker: At the moment, I’d say you have a good chance.

Greg: Great. Thank you very much.

B5 L2 Let's Walk on Air

Have you ever felt like you were walking on air, maybe after you heard some really good news? How about literally, though? That’s a feeling you might experience if you visit the Grand Canyon in Arizona, one of America’s most spectacular and popular tourist sights. This deep gorge along the Colorado River has long been known as a breathtaking natural wonder. Since 2007, there has been a new way to catch the views over the gorge—the Grand Canyon Skywalk.

The Skywalk is a man-made wonder. It is a horseshoe- shaped bridge with a walkway made of glass. It extends out from the side of the Grand Canyon. If you walk out to the middle of it, you are about 21 meters from the edge of the canyon, with five kilometers of empty space stretching6 to the other side. Under the glass floor you will see six hundred meters of air between you and the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It’s like looking down from a hundred meters above the top of Taipei 101.

This impressive bridge was built with the cooperation of the Hualapai Nation, a native American tribe. They live on a reservation where part of the Grand Canyon is located. At first, the Skywalk project was not welcomed by all the Hualapai, some of whom opposed its construction on sacred ground. Eventually, they were persuaded to accept it, and now the site is owned by the tribe. Their lives have been improved by the tourist dollars it brings in. The number of tourists has risen every year, and the site received its one millionth visitor in 2015.

The Skywalk is one of a kind among tourist attractions. What else can compare with a 360-degree view of one of the most awesome natural wonders in the world? The glass is so clear that you feel as if you are walking on a cloud. Former astronaut Buzz Aldrin was among the first to go onto the walkway during the opening ceremony on March 20, 2007. He called the Skywalk “a vision of hope for the future.” If the Grand Canyon Skywalk can impress a man who has walked on the moon, it is surely worth a visit.

B5 L3 Superheroes Rule the Big

In case you haven’t noticed, the world is full of superheroes. Movie theaters, buses and billboards all have posters introducing the latest superhero blockbusters, while trailers for them pop up all over the Internet. Iron Man, Superman, and a long list of other characters are big stars in the film industry nowadays. They excite moviegoers around the world with nonstop action and dramatic fight scenes. Yet where did these superheroes come from, and why are they so hot right now?

Almost all the current collection of movie superheroes first appeared in comic books. In the 1960s, two American publishers were leading the industry and competing against each other to produce the most popular characters in the genre. On one side were Marvel comics, with popular heroes like Spiderman, Captain America, and Iron Man. Their main competition came from DC Comics, who had Batman and Superman, among many others. Both companies had talented and imaginative artists who created exciting stories in vivid and colorful detail.

Now, comic book superheroes have become international screen superstars. The main reason is advances in special effects technology. Until quite recently, superheroes and their superpowers rarely looked believable on screen. Modern CGI techniques make flying men and women, huge explosions, and unbelievable fight scenes appear totally realistic in the latest movies. Swinging above crowded streets on a spider’s web, for example, no longer looks as ridiculous as it sounds.

There are other reasons for the success of superhero movies. Stories about humans with fantastic powers who fight and destroy their evil enemies have universal appeal. Movie makers avoid complicated plots that need to be followed carefully. They know that most people just want to sit back in a comfortable seat, dip into the popcorn, and watch the bad guys get wiped out. These films offer people an escape from their everyday lives and make them wish the heroes and the amazing action were real.

The more superhero screen successes there are, the more money will be spent making new ones, with even better special effects. Box-office success also attracts bigname actors and filmmakers to the superhero genre. That’s why there are plenty more such films in the planning stages. So, if you find a superhero film a great way to escape and relax, you can look forward to seeing lots more exciting entertainment in the future.

B5 L4 Are You a Smart Shopper?

Myra went into a store, where she intended to buy just a couple of items. To her surprise, she ended up leaving with a whole lot of other stuff that she didn’t plan to get. Like many other people, she fell victim to experts in consumer psychology. They are the ones who know how people’s thoughts, beliefs, and feelings affect how they shop, and they are good at using this knowledge to separate consumers from their money.

Marketers use all kinds of psychological techniques. One of the oldest and most obvious is “odd pricing.” When shoppers see something priced at $199, they unconsciously10 associate11 it more with $100 than $200. The 1 in 199 is more significant to them than the last. They may also think that, if a burger costs $99, they are saving money by not paying $100.

Another clever use of consumer psychology is “hunger marketing.” This occurs when producers release new products in limited editions, amounts, or for a limited time. If the product has been eagerly awaited, such as a new iPhone, providing fewer for sale can result in great demand for it. People are willing to stand in line for days to ensure they get an item before it is sold out. In reality, however, often everyone can buy one sooner or later because the producers will increase the supply in the end.

Since the Internet came along, there has been huge growth in so-called viral marketing. Companies have become very good at using social media to promote their products. The psychological effect of having a great many Facebook “likes” can be very good for sales. If, for instance, enough people online say a new skin cream is working, its reputation will spread quickly among friends, acquaintances and family. Their word is trusted more than regular advertising.

        Consumer psychology works in many other ways as well, such as celebrity endorsements and product placement in movies and TV shows. In advertising and marketing, psychological strategies like these obviously succeed. Even if Myra were fully aware of them, she would probably still fall for them sometimes. That is the power of consumer psychology.


B5 L5 The Lunch Date

I saw her in a store, and almost didn’t recognize her. “Time flies!” she said. “Do you remember last time we saw each other? You asked me to lunch.” Did I remember?

It was ten years ago. I was earning very little then. She asked if I would take her to lunch at Carlo’s, a fancy restaurant. I couldn’t really afford it, but I was too young to have learned to say no to a woman. In the restaurant, I glanced over the menu, and my heart sank at the prices.

“I hardly ever eat lunch, ” she said. “And when I do, it’s never more than one thing. I wonder if they have lobster1.” I asked the waiter, hoping he would say no. Yes, some beautiful lobster had just come in. I ordered it for my guest. The waiter asked if she wanted anything else.

“No,” she answered. “I never eat more than one thing, unless you have a little caviar.” I knew I could not afford caviar, but I couldn’t tell her that. I told the waiter to bring caviar. For myself I picked out the cheapest thing on the menu, a pasta dish.

“I think you’re unwise to eat too many carbs,” she said. Next came the question of drink.

“I never drink anything for lunch,” she said.

“Neither do I,” I said quickly.

“Except white wine,” she went on. “It’s wonderful for digestion.” I ordered half a bottle, and some water for me.

Throughout the meal, she chatted happily about her plans. She was starting a modeling career, she said. As she babbled on, I sat worrying about the bill.

The waiter came again.

“No, no, I couldn’t eat any more ... Wait a minute ... Let me see the dessert list.” My heart sank lower. I knew the desserts were sure to be as expensive as everything else.

“Aren’t you going to have any dessert?”

“No, I don’t like sweet foods.”

“Typical man. I think you ruined your appetite with those carbs.”

“Coffee?” the waiter said.

“Yes, and also some of that cake, with ice cream and fresh cream,” she answered.

I no longer cared, so I ordered coffee for myself as well.

“You know,” she said, as she ate the dessert, “I believe you should always end a meal feeling you could eat a little more.”

“Are you still hungry?” I asked weakly.

“Oh, no, I was talking about you. You’ve filled your stomach with carbs and you can’t eat anymore. But I just had a light meal, so I could enjoy dessert.” The bill came, and I was barely able to pay it. When I left the restaurant, I had three weeks until payday and hardly any money left.

“Follow my example,” she said as we shook hands, “and never eat more than one thing for lunch.”

“I’ll do better than that,” I said, “I’ll eat nothing for dinner tonight.”

“You’re so funny,” she replied, jumping into a cab.

When I saw her again at the store, I wanted to ask how the modeling was going. But the answer seemed evident. Unless she was modeling clothes for extremely large people, she was definitely following a different career.

adapted from “The Luncheon,” by Somerset Maugham

B5 L6 A Girl with a Powerful Voice

Malala Yousafzai is a young Pakistani woman. Encouraged by her father, she started an online blog when she was 11 years old. Malala’s hobby had a serious purpose, however. The area where she lived was under the control1 of the Taliban. They are a group of Islamic extremists who insist that girls receive only religious education. Malala wrote posts calling for full education for girls and young women. It was an opinion that almost cost the girl her life.

By 2012, when Malala was fifteen, her influence had grown, and she was quite well known in Pakistan. As a result, the Taliban made her a target. One day, a gunman boarded the bus she was on and shot the teenage girl in the head. She miraculously survived, but had to endure a long and painful recovery. Despite the difficulties she went through, Malala did not lose her enthusiasm for school. She continued to speak up for female education.

Malala’s tireless efforts and bravery brought her worldwide attention. Awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014, she is the youngest person ever to win the honor. In her acceptance speech, she said she was proud to be the first Pakistani to win the prize. Malala also joked that she was probably the first prize winner who still fought with her younger brothers. More seriously, she said the award “is for all those children who are voiceless, whose voices need to be heard.”

Since her recovery, Malala has continued the fight on behalf of young people everywhere. She has spoken for the millions of children who do not get an opportunity to go to school. A fund set up in her name helps children around the world. For Malala herself, the dream to be educated has been realized, and she is studying at university in England. For many others, girls and boys alike, education remains a dream. Malala wants them to be given a chance. She has become a powerful voice for those who need someone to speak for them.


沒有留言:

張貼留言